[cisco-voip] Automated cluster building? (devops tools)

Stephen Welsh stephen.welsh at unifiedfx.com
Wed May 29 16:09:19 EDT 2019

Hi Nick,

We use Azure Devops (previously called Visual Studio Team Services) for Continuous Integration/Delivery of all our software. As part of that some of our UCM and UCCX integrations are tested automatically. In our case we have a local lab VMWare system (currently just statically built UCM/UCCX instances). Although we use Azure Devops in the cloud, we have an on-prem build agent that executes the tasks defined in our Build/Release pipeline. The on-prem agent has direct connectivity to UCM/UCCX as well as the VMWare host for running the CI tests.

We did make a start to automating the deployment of the test UCM/UCCX system, in our case we are using snapshots of the base UCM/UCCX system. One of the many tasks available to Azure Devops is VMWare integration, so we can have a build agent task that powers up the relevant UCM/UCCX instance from the appropriate snapshot to then perform the relevant CI test.

I did have a discussion with the Cisco DevNet Sandbox team about them exposing an API to reserve/start sandbox instances which they were keen to do, but the main guy that was working on that has since moved on. However I was lucky enough to win a DevNet Creator award recently (Yay ;) and have been asked to provide some input to the DevNet road map, so you can bet your boots this is on my list ;)

Personally I’m a big fan of CI/CD and automation in general and have invested a lot of time learning how Azure Devops works etc. very cools stuff.

Happy to host a WebEx to take you through our setup some time, also we shall be at Cisco Live US again this year, booth number: 2336

Kind Regards

Stephen Welsh
Founder & CTO
UnifiedFX