[cisco-voip] How are you all dealing with Jabber and 911????

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Thu Oct 3 14:48:54 EDT 2019

Right now, we tell them to not use Jabber to dial 911. Use a cell phone or a land line. I honestly do not see people raising their headsets to their head and dialing 911 from Jabber. So I don’t see there being a lot of this.

That being said, I’ve spun up a few extra DIDs and listed them as mobile devices and mask 911 calls from Jabber with these numbers. (Through my PSALI subscription).

I’m hoping to work with a company like you suggest to build out a better solution at some point.

I think the company you were referring to was a Canadian company bought out by West and had their own PSAP. It was quite the ingenious solution.

https://www.west.com/en_ca/safety-services/

There’s also RedSky.

You can further expand this request to on-campus location services. I find it interesting that there still isn’t a good way to find location using triangulation of APs or using the GPS (if available) of the device.

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A. | Senior Analyst
Room 037 Animal Science & Nutrition Bldg | 50 Stone Rd E | Guelph, ON | N1G 2W1
519-824-4120 Ext. 56354 | lelio at uoguelph.ca<mailto:lelio at uoguelph.ca>

www.uoguelph.ca/ccs<http://www.uoguelph.ca/ccs> | @UofGCCS on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook