[cisco-voip] [EXTERNAL] Re: PSTN Calls Incorrectly Flagged as "Potential SPAM"

Pawlowski, Adam ajp26 at buffalo.edu
Fri Apr 3 14:16:17 EDT 2020

My understanding of how it would work, would be that the carrier would assert you originated the traffic and were doing so legitimately, not that you had to do it yourself.

However, that of course leads to a whole other world of fraud attempts, if someone can bust in and use your system like a hat or use call forwarding.

My experience with CNAM troubles in the past has been that 95% of the time the customer misread it, it was generic with the name of a locale, or they were using a device with a contact list that had the wrong information in it. The other 5% is impossible as I’ve never had our carrier do anything other than say it is the other customer’s problem.  The carriers and I guess people in the know or connected in this business can work their contacts back channel but otherwise the customer seeing the bad information usually has to complain. Maybe others have better success.

I have had other people report names and various things have appeared on their mobile devices recently, which should a whole other mix of terrible if it’s not CNAM and populated from account data or something bizarre.

Adam