[cisco-voip] Renewing Expressway E Cert

Anthony Holloway avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 02:13:41 EDT 2020

First and foremost, the document describes how port 80 is used
pretty well.  It goes on to say that its no less secure than port 443,
because the same underlying program/process answers to both, thus is
susceptible to the same attacks.

People think it's less secure because it's clear text communication, but
that's not pertinent to how people attack a host.  It is however, how you
intercept communications, and then use that information to your advantage.

However, the document also describes how port 80 is auto redirecting all
traffic to 443 by default, until the renewal process starts, which is at a
random/unpredictable time, and is only changed to redirect port 80 traffic
to 443 for a very specific GET Request to a very specific URL.  In which
case, the port 80 traffic is then redirected to another separate web server
instance which is spun up just in this moment to handle the comms with
let's encrypt, and as soon as it's done, the web server instance is turned
off, and all port 80 traffic is again redirected to 443.

So, the security of the system is actually pretty tight.  Is it 100%?
probably not.  But then again, what truly is 100% secure?