[cisco-voip] Outbound SIP connection failing in CUBE due to some timer... maybe.

Nick Barnett nick at barnett.email
Fri Apr 16 09:23:25 EDT 2021

Yes, very vague subject. Sorry about that. Some calls to certain wireless carriers on our ITSP connections have started failing.

Win10 Jabber client (off of 12.5.su3) -> CUBE -> ITSP

The call goes out Lumen, the 401 auth and challenge response are fine, the INVITE is then sent with SDP. We get a TRYING response which we immediately ACK. Up until this point, the entire call flow is NORMAL.

If we don't receive a 18X response within  7 Seconds, the, the CUBE sends a cancel. Yes, the CUBE.

It appears that the far end is taking too long to send the 18X message. we involved our carrier and they can see the 18X come back a split second later (sometimes), but our side has already closed the connection.

I looked at all of the sip-ua timers and retry settings. nothing adds up to 7 seconds. Most timers are set to 500 msec. I'm not sure where to look? It's not on the sip profile. i tried bumping up the connect, update, info and trying timers (one at a time), but it didn't make any difference. Maybe I was supposed to do something to make sip-ua changes "kick in" like bounce the sip service which I didn't do... not sure on that part.

Please tell me there is something simple I'm missing. Pointers?

Thanks,
Nick

p.s. : some possibly relevant config  and the timers and retries from my sip-ua

retry invite 2
retry response 6
retry bye 10
retry cancel 10