[cisco-voip] Advice Re. Translation Patterns and Call Re-Routing

Gary Parker G.J.Parker at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Apr 4 11:19:46 EDT 2022

Hi folks, I’m in the process of planning a migration to MS Teams for voice. Don’t hate me! The discussions have been long and the decision is made, I’m just trying to lessen the pain now :-D

We’re running CUCM 12.5 on-prem with a pair of CUBEs with SIP trunks to our TSP, Gamma, for external calling. Our Direct Routing SBCs into Teams are cloud hosted by Gamma, so calls between CUCM and Teams won’t cost me anything, even though both consider them external calls.

I’m trying to figure out the simplest way possible, that will eventually scale to hopefully hundreds of users a day, to reroute calls made from a CUCM endpoint, to a DN that /was/ on CUCM, to Gamma instead and then to MS via DR as we migrate users from one system to the other. This is assuming I’ve already had Gamma move the subscriber number from our SIP service to Direct Routing, so all inbound PSTN calls hit Teams rather than CUCM.

The simplest way, that I’ve already had working, is just to put a CFwdAll on the line in question, say 635000 to 9015096350000. 9 is our outside line prefix, and 01509 is the area code. That sends it out via the CUBE to Gamma, they recognise it as a number on my Direct Routing endpoint and send it to MS. The CUCM endpoint can still make internal and external calls, but any internal calls to it from another CUCM endpoint are sent to Teams instead.

What I’ve been trying to figure out is something along the lines of moving the line into a different partition that’s not in a CSS available to other users not migrated to Teams yet. The endpoint will still be able to make calls but not receive them. This bit works okay.

I then tried creating a partition at the bottom of the “internal” calling search space so that six digit calls that don’t match anything else fall into it, get a translation pattern applied to prefix the six digits with 901509, and the partition has a CSS that allows external calls. But the calls to six digit numbers never seem to match against this partition, which simply has a translation pattern with “!” as the matching pattern.

Is it possible to have a “catch all” partition match like this, or does it have to be a more explicit match, meaning I’m back to building a list of migrated numbers rather than moving to a different partition?

If anyone has a more elegant solution feel free to make a suggestion.

---
|     Unified Communications Service Manager      |
n      Loughborough University, IT Services       |
|        https://www.osx.ninja/pubkey.txt         |