[cisco-voip] Getting IOS to translate from DSCP to 802.1p

James Andrewartha jandrewartha at ccgs.wa.edu.au
Fri Jun 24 00:28:46 EDT 2022

Hi voipers,

We have persistent reports of garbled voice quality (like when a mobile phone call glitches briefly) in one location on our campus, of course never when I'm there to observe it and get a capture. One thing I've noticed is the 802.1p priority isn't being set on the packets. The setup is CUCM on VMware connected to a portgroup of VLAN 101. There's also a 4331 which handles SIP termination on VLAN101. These are then routed by a (HSRP redundant pair of) 2921 to VLAN100 where the phones live. The 2921 doesn't map the DSCP set by CUCM or 4331 to an 802.1p priority after routing, and for the life of me I can't work out how to do it. I can't work out how to do it on the 4331 either, I could move routing of the subnets to it but I was waiting until I got the second one which I ordered months ago arrives.

Googling is useless, I end up with results for different variants of IOS or switches, none of which work on IOS 15 on the 2921. Surely it's not that hard to just say "trust DSCP and map it to 802.1p"?

Thanks,

--
James Andrewartha
Network & Projects Engineer