[cisco-voip] Question about detecting end-point analog telephony device present on ATA

Tim Reimers treimers at ashevillenc.gov
Thu Jun 1 11:25:03 EDT 2023

Hi all -
Thanks for the earlier assistance with obtaining details for ATAs.
Turned out the only way to do it is a screenscrape and check each one for
the DN.

My next goal is:
How to know if there's a device of any kind attached to the port of an
ATA-186.

I know for my VG-224 devices, I can do this:
VG224#test voice port 2/0 line-test phone-detection
measured result 0x20C48FB
AC current = 0421 uA
port 2/0 has phone connected

Does anyone know if there's anything similar in an ATA, like somewhere in
the web interface
where a similar statistic is reported or a test available?

We've got a lot of these that are remote to us, and I need to figure out
which
ones still have anything attached, and which ones are simply dead wire
hanging off and the equipment
may have been removed or powered off long ago.
(yes, people don't tell us when they stop using something, or an outside
vendor switches things around without IT knowing it.
I bet we all have that T-shirt..)

Thanks Tim

--

*Quis custodiet
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quis_custodiet_ipsos_custodes%3F>ipsos*

Tim Reimers

Network Administrator

I.T Services

City of Asheville

treimers at ashevillenc.gov

(desk) 828-259-5512

(cell)   828-552-1585

"That’s no ordinary rabbit  packet! That’s the most foul, cruel, and bad
tempered badly framed packet you ever set eyes on. Listen, that packet’s
got a vicious streak a mile wide, he’s a killer.He’s got huge sharp MTU…eh,
he can leap about and cross Vlans…. I warned you, I warned you but did you
listen? No… ohhh no, it’s just a harmless little packet on the network,
isn’t it now...."