[dc-ops] Inventory management packages

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Sep 7 23:29:36 EDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Scott Berkman" <scott at sberkman.net>

> I'd love to see something good here too.
>
> I have used IPPlan for a while for IP address management, but it
> doesn't handle the rest of the list.
>
> http://iptrack.sourceforge.net/

FEATURE REQUEST:

If you were going to deploy a package like this to keep track of your
physical infrastructure and all the physical and logical resources and
assets that make it up, what would you want it to do?

I envision something roughly akin to that GPLd groupware suite that
surrounds the Horde, the name of which eludes me for the moment, but
aimed specifically towards this sort of stuff: what cards are in which
boxes, how big are the drives, which carrier does that PRI go to, and who
do I call when it dies, what domain names do we have registered, and where
are they registered, and where are the DNS servers, and what's in the zones
and that sort of thing...

What do you need to keep track of; what's your usecase?

If the next 6 months go well, I might have a coder to throw at something
like this, cause I'll need it... and my boss is FOSS friendly.

Cheers,
-- jra