[dc-ops] Inventory management packages

Tait Clarridge tait at taiter.com
Thu Sep 8 11:13:57 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 19:48 -0400, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> Does anyone have anything good (web-based, of course) for managing servers
> in slots, IP addresses, names, cabling... that sort of thing?
>
> I'm either being careful or optimistic.  I'm hoping for 'careful'.
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra

I've been playing around with RackMonkey (http://www.rackmonkey.org) and
it isn't too bad for visualizing hardware in the rack space you might
have. Unfortunately it seems development has stopped but at least the
framework is there if you have a developer include the rest of the
things you might require.

Not the best solution, but it fulfilled the needs for our upcoming
migration and optimization of rackspace. Their roadmap looks very
promising but unfortunately it looks like that stuff won't happen unless
someone continues development.

I'd be open to a discussion on all the features we would need added to
rackmonkey or created if a new system was fully defined.

-Tait