[dev-disc] Non-BOF Today

Romascanu, Dan (Dan) dromasca at avaya.com
Tue Jul 22 08:38:09 EDT 2003

Ron,

My rough estimation is that twenty, maybe thirty people were unaware about the cancellation, and came to attend the BOF. At least many of us who were there, do know now about the list, and are subscribed.

The question is what now? Paul's message and his annexed presentation that was intended to be given to the BOF prompts to a timing issue with the IEEE 802.1ab work (LLDP). By the time of the next IETF meeting, the IEEE work is expected to be at the stage where all major technical issues are resolved. I understand that dev-disc may consider going to different directions than LLDP, but the time pressure is here and the window of opportunity for the IEEE and IETF to work together may be closing. To make things more interesting, the November IETF meeting and IEEE Plenary are scheduled for the same week.

Let me ask a few questions that come to my mind concerning the relationship between IEEE 802.1ab work and a possible IETF device discovery effort:
- Is the scope of IEEE 802.1ab similar to what would be a possible IETF dev-disc work? The IEEE effort is specifically designed for devices interconnected by IEEE 802  links or networks, what about other types of links?
- Assuming that the answer to the question above is that there is at least a partial commonality that is worth being pursued, is the extensibility mechanism defined in the IEEE 802.1ab draft appropriate? Would the IETF be interested in defining its own extensions to describe devices, link, port capabilities specific to the IP layer and other IP-based protocols?
- The IEEE 802.1ab scope mentions compatibility with the PTOPO MIB RFC 2922, which is an IETF Proposed Standard. I am not sure about the extent to which this MIB is implemented, but with the LLDP work ongoing, maybe there is interest to look at this MIB for a revision, maybe advancement to Draft, maybe extensions in sync with what the IEEE folks are doing.

Regards,

Dan