[dev-disc] Web page

Pedro Roque Marques roque at juniper.net
Thu May 15 08:03:12 EDT 2003

Acee Lindem writes:

> Hi Pedro, Since the packet is limited to lesser of 1500 bytes and
> the MTU, wouldn't it be better to simply use TLV format rather than
> SNMP? IMHO, TLV format is more compact, lower overhead, and more
> extensible. The only downside I can see is that another IANA
> registry is required and that shouldn't be the deciding factor.

Acee,
The idea behind encoding information in SNMP is so that you can reuse
the allocation mechanisms that are already present as well as current
conventions. If this was a proprietary protocol i would probably
choose to do things via TLVs but since i don't have a good idea on
what subset of information would please everyone as to simply make TLV
assignments upfront, the choice made was to attempt to simplify
extension procedures vs efficiency of encoding.

Note that you can split the information into several packets. The
draft details fragmentation procedures which are quite simple imho.

Something as simple as interface types is expected to require constant
updates. If there is already one assignment space for it i believe we
should reuse it.

regards,
  Pedro.