[dev-disc] BOF in Minneapolis??

CONGDON,PAUL (HP-Roseville,ex1) paul.congdon at hp.com
Wed Oct 1 15:03:18 EDT 2003

I have a few comments inserted below...

> Well...I suspect there is some interest, just need to gauge
> the level of interest?
>
> Summary of dev-disc (as far as I can recall):
>
> 1) There is some work being done in IEEE to standardize device
>    discovery (802.1AB).  IETF interest in this activity could be
>    accomplished via a BOF...but there should be some interest
>    expressed here first.

We just completed a task group ballot on draft 5.1 last week with 62%
approval, but will run another ballot before our November meeting (which
unfortunately overlaps exactly on-top of the IETF meeting).   The draft 6.0
for the November meeting will be our best shot at a complete document, with
(hopefully) only minor editorial fixes after that.  This draft is expected
to be available in the last week of Oct.

At the last BOF, I had prepared a tutorial on 802.1AB, but since it didn't
happen, only a few people were able to review the material via hall
conversations.  I, nor Jim Burns (who was covering for me) will likely be
able to attend the IETF meeting because of the conflict with the IETF
meeting.  I could make the material available nonetheless, but would not be
able to present it.

> 2) Some questions were raised about dev-disc on non-802.11 media.
>    Is this an area that IETF should be concerned and thus initiate
>    some work?

In 802.1AB, we have defined frame encapsulations using Ethernet and SNAP
formats.  We were hoping that non-802 media would be able to use one of
these two formats and leverage the protocol.  Usually encapsulating Ethernet
frames on non-802 media is obvious, but perhaps in some cases more
specification is needed.

> 3) Some MIB work may need to be done...need to hear some discussion
>    on this topic.

We have included a MIB in the LLDP draft and examples of how to extend this
MIB for organizational specific needs.  LLDP is also designed to support the
needs of RFC 2922 (the PTOPO MIB).   We would welcome comments from dev-disc
folks on this MIB and will include them in our balloting process.  It is
possible for any of you to submit comments as a non-voting member of 802.1.
We will process your comments.

> 4) The IEEE work includes an option to have vendor specific TLV's.
>    We could create an IETF TLV if there is a need, in which we would
>    need to do some work on populating that TLV.  Need some discussion
>    on what the need is there (or at least some indication of interest
>    by folks).

This would be an ideal use of the extensibility of 802.1AB.

> 5) Are there any collaboration efforts needed wrt ptopomib rfc2992
>    and the 802.1ab work?

Comments welcome.  I will forward our next ballot information to the
dev-disc mailing list.