[e-nsp] New Extreme user

Andrew Staples andrews at ltinet.net
Wed Nov 5 15:10:58 EST 2003

We're looking at getting a used black diamond vs an HP9308 switch.  The
extreme is running v4 code.  Whichever we get will be used to connect
several buildings in a business park (layer 2 only).

Initial pricing is the same (72 10/100 and 8 fiber on the hp, 16 fiber and
64 10/100 on the extreme), but additional modules for the extreme are much
less expensive.  However, HP comes with free tech support/software upgrades.

I'm completely unfamiliar with the extreme product, and was wondering if
anyone has any comparisons to make between the two products, or if  there
are any problems with running older code on the extreme.  Also, how easy is
it to config/maintain an extreme switch?

Thanks,

Andrew Staples
http://nwnetcom.com
perl -e
"print(pack('H54','616e647265772e737461706c6573406e776e6574636f6d2e636f6d'))
;"

"When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick
your
elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil."