[e-nsp] Possible to add 1 port as untagged to 2 different VLANs?

Sander Aerts saerts at saerts.nl
Fri Apr 7 04:59:22 EDT 2006

Fredrik,

It is not possible to add a single switch port to 2 vlan's with the
untagged, this is because vlan tagging add some information to the packets
that are send acros the network.
The information that is added to the packets are the VLAN-ID in this case,
if you set a port to tagged the header of a packet will be modified by the
switch and the vlan ID will be set.
But if you set a port to untagged, the switch doesn't send the information
with packets, so then it operates as a normal switching port (This is
required for connecting, for example computer systems or you need to compile
a linux kernel with vlan tagging support).

But a hub is in fact a stupid device, information send to the hub will be
transported to every port, so in your scenario if it is not a switching hub
or something, you can set the extreme port tagged/tagged and
create vlan support on your computer system if you use linux. Then in
theorie i need to work.

Another point, think that is was possible to add one port to 2 VLAN's with
the untagged method that will be the same as connecting 2 vlan's to
eachother.
So that also means, that your VLANS are OBSOLETE and you created a security
hole :)

--

Regards,

Sander Aerts