[e-nsp] vlan trunk between summit 400 and cisco 3750

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sat Aug 26 03:20:03 EDT 2006

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, Yu-lin CHANG (seawind) wrote:

> I don't know why S400 sends tunking information to those
> "untagged" ports.

It doesn't. It just forwards the spanning tree packets without doing
anything about them. Most likely it's the 3750 that runs PVST or some
other STP on the vlans you're trunking to/from it and this gets forwarded
by the S400 as any other packet, and then the 2900 has some default
protection turned on against this case and complains.

I usually say that Cisco switches are the Macintoshes of the switch world.
They have a lot of things turned on that "just works" in a pure Cisco
environment, but as soon as you start to interconnect them with other
brands, you really have to know everything they do and don't and handle it
by turning off things or changing the defaults.

"no spanning tree vlan 100" and 200 on the 3750 might solve this problem,
or turning off bpdu-guard on the 2900.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se