[e-nsp] Comparing a 6800/MSM64i with a Cisco 6500/SUP2 - 2 missing functionalities - 1 capacities issue

MetroOptic Support support at metrooptic.com
Sat Jun 10 15:21:27 EDT 2006

    Hi,

    We've ask the normal Extreme channels but are still waiting for
anything concrete on those issues.  We like the 6800's we have and dont
mind upgrading or adding devices to fix a specific issue but I like to
confirm that its feasable with Extreme devices.

    1. VLAN Translation/Nesting

    We need to have VLAN from Resellers nested into a Customer VLAN and
also translated into our own numbering for that Customer.

    Cisco:
        *switchport vlan mapping */vlan-id translated-id
    /*   switchport vlan mapping dot1qtunnel *outer-vlan-id
{inner-vlan-id translated-vlan-id | *drop*}

    Extreme:

        Looks to be available in 7.4 but only for PoS and ATM Cards not
GigF or Ethernet.  Cant find it in XOS.  The Extreme eng told me its
possible with GigF and Ethernet but never provided any doc config for it.

    2. Routing using source-ip

    We have a customer with 2 class of services (one free and one
commercial) and he wish to have his free subnets going to a cheap peer
(BGP) without backup to his commercial peers (BGP), but he wants his
commercials subnets on all of them.

    Cisco:
*        match ip route-source prefix-list*

    Extreme:
         None so far...  I check in XOS and on new hardware to no avail.

    3. Number of BGP Peers with Full Route supported

    Cisco:

        SUP2/MSFC2/512MB: 5

    Extreme:

        MSM64i: Not even 2 (with routing tables at 170k entries and the
documentation stating 330k for a MSM64i)
        MSM3: Barely 5 (I saw 880k routes somewhere)

    Any ideas?

    Thank you for your time.