[e-nsp] Multicast RP in Extreme Alpine

F J ripprapp at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 3 06:48:24 EST 2006

Hi,
I saw the old posting from John (see below). I'm running an Alpine3804, SW
7.4

I want to configure my Alpine as a static RP and have similar problems as
John. Does anyone have som "best practices" what I should look for? Standard
misstakes etc? Compared to the Cisco and Juniper manuals I must say that the
Extreme one is a joke :)

One of my Mcast-providers have set up static IGMP routing towards me. I.e. I
don't have control over those sources (I have a valid RPF-route to them
though). How should I set up my port "facing" that source? Must I enable
PIM? ipmcforwarding? IGMP? IGMP-snooping?

Which CLI-commands can verify which multicast-channels are "accepted" by my
RP?

All suggestions is appreciated.

BR
/// Fredrik

OLD POSTING FROM JOHN:
I'm trying to configure PIM-SM on an Extreme 1i switch running v7.2b25 &
I'm a little confused on how to restrict the RP to a couple of
candidates.  Here's my config:

create access-profile "MCAST-DOMAIN" type ipaddress
configure access-profile "MCAST-DOMAIN" add 5 permit ipaddress 224.0.0.0/4

enable pim
configure pim cbsr vlan "VLAN400" 0
configure pim add vlan "VLAN400" sparse
configure pim crp "VLAN400" "MCAST-DOMAIN" 0
configure pim add vlan "VLAN300" sparse
configure pim crp static 153.104.0.1 "MCAST-DOMAIN" 0

I have configured MCAST-DOMAIN to the entire multicast address range to
that I may come back later & restrict it to some subnet.  I want
153.104.0.1 to be the RP, but 153.104.0.60, another router, appears
instead.  I know that PIM picks the largest ip address, but I'm trying
to override it by configuring the static entry.  I'm probably missing
something simple, but I don't see it.  What's worse is Extreme's
documentation - little description, few examples.

Thanks in advance,

     -John