[e-nsp] ipfdb problem

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Mar 8 00:28:04 EST 2007

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, Fetzer, Bryan wrote:

> At this point I would have to say it would be best to contact Extreme
> TAC, my guess is that no setting on the IPFDB timers is going to make
> any difference here or else that "fix" would be listed in their
> solutions on their website and it is not.

The only way that is likely to fix the problem is if the unit somehow can
be made to use longest prefix routing and bypass the ipfdb totally.

Someone at Extreme hinted that this might be possible with the hardware
but I never got around checking if they implemented it in any software.
Does anyone know?

If not, the basic rule is that you cannot use the 24e3, 200 and 300 and
400 series for "internet routing", as their ipfdb is too small. If you
have more than 1000-2000 concurrent "flows" (ie destination IPs) going on,
it's going to behave as the original poster described.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se