[e-nsp] Problem with vMAN and QinQ

Andraz Sraka a at aufbix.org
Wed Feb 27 08:38:13 EST 2008

re

On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 11:18 +0100, Roger Wiklund wrote:

> But all Cisco switching devices use the default Ethertype field value
> of 0x8100, even when using QinQ (not entirley sure about this).

Huh, this QinQ and l2-tunnel protocol (dot1q-tunnel) is that same thing
in cisco terminology or it does *almost the same thing* using different
ethertype fields?

> This means  that you can´t have a regular Q-trunk between a
> Cisco-device and the BD6800, because of the ethertype mismatch.

Yes, this is something I've already concluded. So the best know
work-around is what you described below?

> The solution at least to my knowledge is to use the standard 8100
> ethertype on the BD, and use Cisco devices at the edges with QinQ
> enabled.

But can I use on one port both ethertypes (let's say new vMAN (0x8100)
and old VLAN)? I was trying to have in that tagged port my management
vlan and customer QinQ vlan :)

> Or you can use newer Extreme switches, like the x450, that has much
> better vMAN support. And set the vMAN ethertype to 8100. And you can
> even use vMAN and VLAN och the same switch, just specify witch ports
> belong to either vMAN och VLAN.

yay :)

regards,
 Andraz