[e-nsp] Using Extreme for BGP border router?

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Tue Jun 24 16:05:02 EDT 2008

On Jun 24, 2008, at 12:43 PM, Swen Wulf wrote:
> I would be interested if anybody out here is using an Extreme
> Networks box in an ISP environment and is using BGP with multiple
> peers. I wonder how the argument goes with Cisco customers/peers and
> any other issues that one might run into it.

In general Extreme works, but we migrated away from using them as
border peers for the following reasons:

1. When the BGP table overflows the unit falls down dead.  No other
failure mode, it just falls flat on its face and stops routing
entirely.  This is entirely useless as a failure mode.

2. It can't do uRPF so you can't filter your peers appropriately.

3. Memory size limits as you've noted.  No way to change much memory
is given to the BGP table.

4. Extreme doesn't seem to care much about BGP problems.  I have 4
open bugs with them that are mission critical problems that they still
haven't gotten around to fixing.  One of those bugs is leaking routes
that are explicitly blocked (or implicitly - doesn't matter) that they
confirm is a bug and just can't be bothered to fix.

In summary, I wouldn't use an Extreme box in a BGP border situation
unless it was L2-only, which brings about the question of "why bother?"

Get a Force10 system for less money and much better support.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek

Silicon Valley Colocation