[e-nsp] 6808 backplane

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Tue Mar 11 13:00:34 EDT 2008

Daniel Monteith wrote:
> This is interesting as I reported this to extreme TAC a few years ago
> and they said it was cosmetic. So have Extreme admitted to you that
> this is a broken component and RMA'd your backplane?

No, they kept claiming the backplane couldn't fail until we proved it to
them beyond the shadow of a doubt.  They replaced saying "very rare" but
we had it happen to another 6808 within a year.

Close examination of the backplane shows the use of capacitors, which
change chemically over time.  The 6808 backplane simply has a limited
lifetime, ~4 years.