[e-nsp] x650 and 3rd party SFP in SFP+ sockets

Marcin Kuczera marcin at leon.pl
Tue Jan 10 15:31:34 EST 2012

Yaroslav Doroshenko wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Could somebody confirm relaying on hands-on experience that 3rd party SFPs (i.e. 1000Base-LX/LH) can be used in onboard SFP+ sockets at x650?

I can confirm, they work fine.

however:

1G SFPs - all of them (except fiber channel only ;)
10G SFPs - all of them, but - non extreme have some "!" before LR or SR
that means - unsupported, that in fact means that in new soft monitoring
(i.e. RX signal level) doesn't work for them.

There is no monitoring for 1G SFP (whether they have it or not,
unsupported by software).

It is very simple to create EEPROM code for 1G SFPs so they are seen as
original (but it doesn't matter in fact).

For 10G SFPs, they are microcontroller based and genuine checking is as
I suppose quite unique for extreme and codedn in microcontroller
software. So if anyone knows who produces 10G SFP+ looking genuine -
please let me know ;)

Regards,
Marcin