[e-nsp] STP

John Center john.center at villanova.edu
Thu Apr 11 16:04:36 EDT 2013

Hi Luiz,

On 04/07/2013 12:04 AM, Luiz Júnior wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I am having a hard time configuring STP on Extreme Switches properly,
> and I really appreciate some help.
> I have already 26 switches in my Network, at my Core layer a BD8810, and
> at the access layer I have some Summit 450, 460 and 200. The thing is
> the switches are not configured properly, the VLANs are configured only
> on BD8810, and at the access layer, all switches are in VLAN Default, it
> works but I am trying to optimize the network and made things work properly.
> Moreover, I am adding to my network a new Core Switch BD8810, but to get
> started I am only connecting a few switches from the access layer to the
> this new one, and connect it with the core - in other words, I am only
> creating a redundant path to the Old BD8810.

I think the first thing you need to do is set up the VLANs on the access
switches properly.  If a VLAN has been assigned to the access switches,
but they are configured with the default VLAN, you are going to have to
create the correct VLAN on the access switches, leaving the edge ports
untagged & tagging the uplink.

One way I've done this in the past is to create a temporary VLAN between
the core & access switches, using local IP addresses, reachable via the
core switch.  Then, having 2 sessions to the core switch, telnet/ssh
from the one of the core switch sessions to the access switch using the
temporary IP address.  I'd have your changes worked out ahead of time,
cut & paste them into the access switch & also tag the uplink in the
other session.  I had to do a major science building on campus this way.
  Doing this at off hours will work the best, of course!

> Anyway, I have tried to follow extreme networks guides and white papers,
> however, I am still not getting things right. I couldn't understand how
> STPD works, I've tried to create and add some vlans to it, but many
> errors have appeared, as such: Error: Please configure a stpd dot1q tag
> first, or you can't add this VLAN or port to SPTD and so on. And as a
> matter of fact, once I have configured a new SPTD on my BD8810 and on my
> Summit 200, the problem is that each one has itself as the root bridge,
> although the trunk port was working and the Summit has full connection
> to the network. At this stage, I want to my Old BD8810 be the root
> bridge for all VLANs.

Once you have the VLANs spanning from the core to the edge, create the
STP instance.  I usually assign the STP instance a mode of dot1w, with a
default encapsulation of pvst-plus.  (We have a mixed environment & this
is the common denominator.)  You need to first add the VLAN to the STP
with the ports:

create stpd LS-I-32-STP
configure stpd LS-I-32-STP mode dot1w
configure stpd LS-I-32-STP default-encapsulation pvst-plus
configure stpd LS-I-32-STP add vlan LS-I-32 ports 1:6 pvst-plus
configure stpd LS-I-32-STP add vlan LS-I-32 ports 1:7 pvst-plus
configure stpd LS-I-32-STP add vlan LS-I-32 ports 1:8 pvst-plus
configure stpd LS-I-32-STP add vlan LS-I-32 ports 1:9 pvst-plus

You can then modify the STP instance with things like link-type:

configure stpd LS-I-32-STP ports link-type point-to-point 1:6

> So, how could I configure on a switch a new STPD (With a new one, I am
> expecting not to made a mess on my network), with a new Carrier VLAN
> (I think this is a sort of Native vlan, right?)  and add new vlans to
> it, and also old vlans that it belongs to a other STPD (e.g. s0), inside
> a trunk port.

Once you've assigned a VLAN + ports to the the STP instance, then you
can configure the tag & enable the STP:

configure stpd LS-I-32-STP tag 32
enable stpd LS-I-32-STP

Assigning a priority of 0 on the core switch will make it the root:

configure stpd LS-I-32-STP priority 0

When you're finished with this on the core switch, you can add many of
the same settings to the edge switches, making the link-type for the
uplink point-to-point & the other untagged ports "edge".

HTH

	-John

--
John Center