[e-nsp] EXOS 15.3.2 on X650 - EAPS + stacking (and multicasts)

Marcin Kuczera marcin at leon.pl
Thu Sep 19 10:37:44 EDT 2013

hello,

we have done many changes in main switch architecture recently.
We have 2x X650-24x in stacking mode, however slot-2 was disconnected
for a while.

Yesterday we have upgraded switches with:
- 4x40G modules
- 15.3.2.11 EXOS

And we have some issues and a big problem ;)

1. remember that when you install VIM3-40G4X in stacking mode, the
switch will boot and... will search for master forever so
you can't login beacue aaa is pending all the time.
Problem is caused by SystemType change:
System Type:      X650-24x(SS) (Stack)
System Type:      X650-24x(40G4X) (Stack)

There is some magic command to override it, but we didn't know it so
reconfiguration took a time..

2. EXOS 15.3.2.11 is something that I suppose you should not install on
X650.
Multicasts just work randomatically. I mean - there are random problems
that i.e. particular vlan on particular port
just doesn't forward multicasts strems it was requesting.
On another port - it works. No info from log files, any debug shows that
stream should be available - but it is not.

Testing is done by mirroring particular ports traffic to LINUX and
looking into tcpdump.

There are many changes in multicasts in 15.3.2 that migh not be tested
on X650 platform...

As a result we will go down to 15.3.1.4 patch 1-18. Before we had
15.3.1.4 patch 1-3, working fine but with some issues related to 40Gx4
module (patch1-18 fixes this)

3.  EAPS..... we have 2 EAPS ring.
When both slots (1-2) become connected, slot 1 is master, slot 2 is backup.
For one of EAPS instances our stack is Master.

And - in master log we have:
09/19/2013 14:34:47.44 <Warn:EAPS.RxAnotherMaster> Slot-2: EAPSD
eaps-ktw-glw-domain - Received Health-Pdu from another Master
(02:04:96:36:C5:65) on the same domain.
09/19/2013 14:26:24.16 <Warn:EAPS.RxAnotherMaster> Slot-2: Previous
message repeated 503 additional times in the last 502 second(s)

So, every 1 second a message.

Slot-1 SummitStack-GZE.2 # show eaps

EAPS Enabled: Yes
EAPS Fast-Convergence: On
EAPS Display Config Warnings: On
EAPS Multicast Add Ring Ports: Off
EAPS Multicast Send IGMP and MLD Query: On
EAPS Multicast Temporary Flooding: Off
EAPS Multicast Temporary Flooding Duration: 15 sec
Number of EAPS instances: 2
# EAPS domain configuration :
Domain         State           Mo  En  Pri    Sec    Control-Vlan VID
Count Prio
eaps-ktw-glw-domain Complete        M   Y    1:16   1:6
eaps-ktw-glw-ctlvlan (4051) 40    N
eaps-ring-row-domain Links-Up        T   Y    1:17   1:8
eaps-ring-row-ctlvlan (4052) 521   N
Flags : (!) CFM Down
Slot-1 SummitStack-GZE.3 #

Slot-2 SummitStack-GZE.1 > show eaps

EAPS Enabled: Yes
EAPS Fast-Convergence: On
EAPS Display Config Warnings: On
EAPS Multicast Add Ring Ports: Off
EAPS Multicast Send IGMP and MLD Query: On
EAPS Multicast Temporary Flooding: Off
EAPS Multicast Temporary Flooding Duration: 15 sec
Number of EAPS instances: 2
# EAPS domain configuration :
Domain         State           Mo  En  Pri    Sec    Control-Vlan VID
Count Prio
eaps-ktw-glw-domain Complete   [F]  M   Y    1:16   1:6
eaps-ktw-glw-ctlvlan (4051) 40    N
eaps-ring-row-domain Links-Up        T   Y    1:17   1:8
eaps-ring-row-ctlvlan (4052) 521   N
Flags : (!) CFM Down
Slot-2 SummitStack-GZE.2 >

Is this a BUG or stacking is not configured properly ?

Regards,
Marcin