[e-nsp] Help with VMANs...

Marcin Kuczera marcin at leon.pl
Tue Jul 8 05:09:07 EDT 2014

On 2014-07-07 14:30, Simon Lockhart wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm struggling a bit to understand VMANs on Extreme, and how to achieve what
> I'm trying to do.
>
> Firstly, a quick network diagram...
>

>     +----------+                        +----------+
>     |  sw1     |                        |  sw2     |
>     +-----+----+                        +-----+----+
>           | Vlan 5,100 tagged                 | Vlan 5,200 tagged
>           |                                   |
>           +--------------+  +-----------------+
>                          |  |
>                         =======
>                         Carrier
>                          MPLS
>                         Network
>                         =======
>                      +-----+-----+
>                      |   sw3     |
>                      +-----------+
>
> So, sw1 and sw2 (X460's) are in remote PoPs. On the uplink port from sw1,
> vlans 5 and 100 are tagged. On the uplink port from sw2, vlans 5 and 200 are
> tagged.
>
> Our carrier hands over both uplinks on an NNI into sw3, but adds another vlan
> tag - 500 for sw1, and 501 for sw2. (so vlan 100 from sw1 appears on sw2 as
> SVID 500, CVID 100).
>
> I want sw3 to see vlans 5, 100, 200. It seemed like I could create a VMAN with
> tag 500, and add the NNI port with the vman tagged. However, sw3 doesn't seem
> to see traffic on vlans 5 or 100. Vlan5 would be our 'management' vlan, so
> has an ipaddress configured on each switch, all in the same subnet.
>
> Can I do this with VMANs? Does a VMAN only work if you egress the traffic on
> an untagged port out of sw3 - i.e. sw3 just strips the SVID, so another switch
> downstream of sw3 could see vlan 5, 100, etc?

In my experience, VMAN just strips/adds SVLAN ID on "untagged" port,
while accepting all vlans that enter
this untagged port.

However, there are commands like config vlan x add subvlan y
maybe you could try to search there ?

btw, VMAN is mostly used when you create VMAN, than, you can treat is as
regular vlan using vlan commands.

Marcin