[F10-nsp] S50 and default-network

Marcus Stoegbauer marcus at grmpf.org
Thu Jun 19 11:57:23 EDT 2008

Hi,

Matthias Saou wrote:
> This list seems very calm lately, but it's the first place I've found
> for Force10 technical discussions, so here I go...
>
> I just bought three S50 switches and stacked them together. So far, so
> good. I've been having trouble with the Force10 support, because I
> couldn't download an image from their website for a switch on which I
> had damaged the image, but that's another story... (and for the record,
> you can't copy from an installed image to tftp or xmodem to make a
> backup...)
>
> I've set them up in a stack, which is working fine. I've got two
> uplinks arriving, both set up with OSPF and receiving routes fine. The
> issue is that the provider isn't sending any 0.0.0.0 route which the
> stack would then pick up as its default gateway, as explained in the
> Force10 Tips and Tricks :
> https://www.force10networks.com/CSPortal20/KnowledgeBase/HowDoIConfigureLoadBalancing.aspx
>
> With any Cisco Catalyst equipment, the solution here is to use the "ip
> default-network <network>" configuration, and since the network will be
> known through both uplinks, it would work and provide failover.

I haven't used F10 for Layer3 stuff before, but you can always try adding
a default route and setting the preference low enough so that the OSPF
default route is the preferred way. In SFTOS (and on S25p, but I don't
think that should differ much to S50) this can be done with "ip route
default <gateway-ip> <preference>".

   Marcus