[f-nsp] Strange interaction

Jean Barbezat jb at anthologeek.net
Tue Mar 4 18:48:42 EST 2003

Hi,

Le Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 03:07:00PM -0800 or thereabouts, Bill McCaffrey écrivait:
> All the servers are running stock RH 6.2. I
> recently change the TCP syn-def parameter down to 2 seconds to battle some
> ddos attacks. After the change, I started to have from 2 to 6 dead servers
> in the morning, not just health-check dead, but completely kernel-panic type
> dead.

Well you'd better upgrade your servers with a brand new kernel, 6.2
kernels should be running a bogus kernel tcp/ip stack.
cf: http://lists.insecure.org/lists/bugtraq/1996/May/0017.html

> Tarot cards and pigeon entrails have shed no light on this - does anybody
> have any ideas on what could be happening here?

I think you should try bugtraq it works better, and it saves pigeons.

Regards,
--
Jean Barbezat
"Every day, computers are making people easier to use."