[f-nsp] Foundry Edge Switches (24/48G)

Niels Bakker niels=foundry-nsp at bakker.net
Thu Apr 22 20:01:14 EDT 2004

(Please turn off HTML when posting to mailing lists.  Thanks)

* temkin at sig.com (Temkin, David) [Thu 22 Apr 2004, 17:15 CEST]:
> If anyone here has any experience with the mid-range Foundry edge
> switches (24G, 48G), please contact me off-list.  I'd like to hear any
> info about the stability of them as well as general experiences with
> Foundry vs. Cisco for this type of application (edge) while keeping a
> Cisco core...

I've got good experiences with FastIron Edge switches (24 or 48 ports
10/100, 2 ports 10/100/1000 or SFP), including the models supporting POE
(802.3af).  Haven't used them for anything besides switching in a
redundant network layout.  They're big but they work.

I've observed some issues with some of the EdgeIron series switches
which probably have been fixed in more recent versions of the software
than what we tested with halfway last year.

	-- Niels.