[f-nsp] Experiences with the performance of Foundy Bigiron 8000 VS a Cisco 12000 & redundancy question

Todd Christell tchristell at springnet.net
Wed Dec 1 11:45:37 EST 2004

we have a metro ethernet network with a gig backbone and 45 nodes
distributed over the city; all foundry.  works great.  the only cisco
routers were a couple of 7507s (dual rsp8s, vip450s)for our bgp ds3 feeds.
 both routers were running about 45% cpu utilization.  one died one
evening and we substituted a BI4000 at a fifth the cost of the 7507 and it
has been running ever since at about 1% cpu.  after that we decomissioned
the second 7507 and replaced with a foundry.  i think that i would
recommend a netiron 4000 or 8000 instead of the bigiron.  the bigiron
series is more enterprise and the netiron is more nsp.  it has faster
processor, more memory etc. and doesn't cost that much more, especially
compared to a gsr.

tlc

Todd Christell
Network Manager
SpringNet
www.springnet.net
417.831.8688
Key fingerprint = 4F26 A0B4 5AAD 7FCA 48DD 7F40 A57E 9235 5202 D508