[f-nsp] FES4802 and FWS4802 Differences

Rodolfo D'Agostino rdagostino at teicos.it
Wed Feb 25 08:38:38 EST 2004

Hello Sam,

FWS4802 and FES4802 are quite different.
FWS4802 runs the same software used on FI chassis, BI and NI.
FES runs a different family of code, developed only for FES products.
With full layer 3 software, you can run up to BGP using FWS and up to OSPF
using FES4802.

FWS support (in addition to features supported on FES):
- Private VLANs
- Protocol VLANs
- VSRP
- Policy Based Routing (HW)
- Rules-Based ACL and extended ACL
- MBGP/MSDP
- NAT

FES may perform only inbound rate limiting for phisycal port.
FWS may run inbound rate limiting based on phisycal port, port and priority,
ACL; outbound rate limiting based on phisycal port.

Both products are non blocking wire speed (if I remember well) and based on
JetCore ASIC.

Hope this helps,
best regards,
Rod.

--
Rodolfo D'Agostino
System Engineer (FNCNE - ENS) - Technical Service

Teicos Srl (http://www.teicos.it)
Via Bertolino, 20
26025 Pandino (Cremona)
Tel: +39.0373970648  Fax: +39.0373970588

** DISCLAIMER **

Questa e-mail potrebbe contenere informazioni confidenziali e riservate
di proprieta’ Teicos Srl. Nel caso il ricevente non fosse l’esatto
destinatario o avesse ricevuto questo messaggio per errore e’ pregato
di notificarlo immediatamente al mittente e cancellare questa e-mail.
La copia e/o la diffusione del materiale contenuto in questa e-mail
senza previo accordo con Teicos e’ vietata.

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged information,
property of Teicos Srl. If you are not the intended recipient, or have
received this e-mail by mistake, please notify immediately the sender,
and destroy this e-mail. Copy, disclosure or distribution of the
material in this e-mail without previous permission of Teicos Srl is
strictly forbidden.