[f-nsp] Anyone using ip net-aggregate with full BGP routes

Brent Van Dussen vandusb at attens.com
Tue Jan 20 17:08:09 EST 2004

Yes, net-agg will help with CAM depletion and subsequent route-cache
thrashing issues that follow.  The only thing I have seen that can limit
net-aggs effectiveness is as follows:

- any routes in a specific /14 that have different next-hops will cause
net-agg ineligibility for the entire /14.  Not really an issue unless you
have directly connected routes in bunches and bunches of different /14's.

The nachi worm, which seems to have stopped about two weeks ago is another
thing that will suck up all your route-cache but the 7.5 codetrain that's
been in production for a while now has some trick new route-cache cleanup
algorithms that seem to keep everything in check fairly well without eating
up too much of the CPU.

This is all on Ironcore and M4 management modules.

Happy Networking,
-Brent