[f-nsp] ServerIronXL 16 or 24 port questions..

Emilia Lambros emilial at hostworks.com.au
Wed Jun 23 19:03:21 EDT 2004

The way I understood it when I researched it and subsequently set up
gslb, there needed to be ServerIrons at each location.  Requests are
handled by the way DNS is handled.

 If you're using a remote server to have one server closer to where some
of your users will be, then when they get the DNS response, they're
given the response closest to them.  If you're doing it for redundancy
and you don't want anyone to hit that site unless everything else is
down, they're given the DNS of the primary site until none of those real
servers are available, then they're given the DNS for the redundant
site.

 Its smoke, mirrors and DNS.  The ServerIrons actually have to have DNS
behind them to see the responses and change them if necessary, or they
have to provide the DNS for that (sub)domain themselves and they change
it if necessary.  They need to have control of the DNS in some way for
glsb to work.  Hard to grasp the first time you hear it, but the
ServerIrons can do DNS.

Cheers,
Em