[f-nsp] ServerIronXL 16 or 24 port questions..

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Mon Jun 28 09:07:55 EDT 2004

"Emilia Lambros" <emilial at hostworks.com.au> writes:

> Ours is pretty much the same except for having no real servers for DNS and a separate virtual for the actual website and also:
>
> gslb policy
>  metric-order set health-check preference capacity round-trip-time geographic num-session flashback
>  preference
>  dns ttl 5
>  dns active-only
>  dns best-only
>  dns override
>  dns cache-proxy
>  protocol status-interval 2
>

> what do your round trip commands do in the policy?  I could look it up myself but I'm incredibly lazy :)

I'm lazy too :-) So this is from memory (and the config is a few years
old...):

"round-trip-time tolerance 0" was an attempt to compensate for a short
distance between the sites (20 - 30 ms).

"round-trip-time cache-prefix 16" makes the SI assume all clients in a
/16 are equally far away, requiring fewer clients to populate the RTT
cache (but of course also reducing precision)

"round-trip-time cache-interval 1800" increases the cache interval to
1800 seconds, also to reduce the number of clients necessary to
populate the cache.

Bjørn