[f-nsp] Centralized Load balancing via 802.1q?

Matt Stockdale mstockda at logicworks.net
Thu May 27 17:21:45 EDT 2004

Maybe I should have mentioned that the serveriron XL's have a single
ethernet connection to our core switch. We cannot use them as access
switches. We already do exclusively DSR, and this works fine for
balancing real servers on the same vlan and layer3 space as the XL.

Let me whip up a quick diagram of what we'd like to do (don't know how
well it will render for you)

    ServerIron

  (dot1q trunk)
  (vlans 1-100)

     Cat6500-----------------
         |                         |
         |                         |
 (dot1q trunk)       (dot1q trunk)
 (vlans 1-100)       (vlans 1-100)
         |                         |
         |                         |
     Cat2950                Cat2950
         |                         |
         |                         |
 (access port)          (access port)
   (vlan 20)               (vlan 21)
         |                         |
         |                         |
  Real Server A         Real Server B
(192.168.20.101)      (102.168.21.101)

I'd like to be able to have the ServerIron create a VIP on vlan 20,
192.168.20.100 for example, and balance across 192.168.20.10[1-x] I'd
also like to have the ServerIron create a VIP on vlan 21,
192.168.21.100, and balance across 192.168.21.10[1-x] at the same time.

Currently, if we have our XL configured on the 192.168.20.0/24 Space, we
can't balance anything on 192.168.21.0/24 without source-nat (at least
according to foundry support)

Does that help explain what I'm looking to do?

Matt

--
    Matt Stockdale
mstockda at logicworks.net