[f-nsp] Measurement of BigIron virtual interfaces

Sam Stickland sam_ml at spacething.org
Tue Oct 26 14:44:53 EDT 2004

Hmm, then it seems we have been, err. missupplied somewhere along the
line. This card was listed as a J-BxGMR4 when the provisioning request was
originally made, which ought to make it Jetcore based but evidently this
isn't one of them.

What would that M4 show up as under a sh ver?

We

Sam

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Jonas Frey wrote:

> Sam,
>
> you have a old M4 based on the ironcore chipset (see my last mail to the
> list), this doesnt support sflow. You can configure it but it will NOT
> work.
>
> A VM1 *does* support sflow.
>
> Regards,
> Jonas
>

> On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 18:13, Sam Stickland wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Ray Taft wrote:
>>
>>> No, you can not monitor a VE interface. It will report back zero usage.
>>> Bummer, I know.
>>>
>>> Ray
>>>

>> That is indeed a pain.
>>
>> Does anyone know if the lack of VE interface counters is a hardware
>> problem? Does it change with a VM-1 card installed?
>>
>> I've started looking at how to extract the information from sFlow, but
>> annoyingly I can't even seem to get sFlow exporting working.
>>
>> SSH at foundry1#sh run | inc sflow
>> sflow enable
>> sflow sample 512
>> sflow polling-interval 30
>> sflow destination w.x.y.z
>>
>> SSH at foundry1#conf t
>> SSH at foundry1(config)#int e1/3
>> SSH at foundry1(config-if-e1000-1/3)#sflow forwarding
>> SSH at foundry1(config-if-e1000-1/3)#exit
>> SSH at foundry1(config)#exit
>>
>> SSH at foundry1#sh sflow
>> sFlow services are enabled.
>> sFlow agent IP address: 10.134.221.4
>> Collector IP w.x.y.z, UDP 6343
>> Polling interval is 30 seconds.
>> Configured default sampling rate: 1 per 512 packets.
>> Actual default sampling rate: 1 per 512 packets.
>> 0 UDP packets exported
>> 0 sFlow samples collected.
>> No ports configured for sFlow sampling.
>> Module Sampling Rates
>>
>> SSH at foundry1#sh run int e1/3
>> !Building configuration...
>> !Current configuration : 47 bytes
>> interface ethernet 1/3
>>   port-name Gi0/1 Net1
>> !
>>
>> So basically it's just ignoring the sFlow port configuration. I've read
>> through the Foundry docs and can't seem to figure out why. The interface
>> e1/3 is one of the GE ports on the B4GMR4 card, and the box is running
>> 07.7.01T53 (B2R07701).
>>
>> Feels like I'm missing something very obvious, but I can't see what.
>>
>> Sam

>>> M4R4G (somehow defective, tends to crash when running bgp/using alot of