[f-nsp] Brain bending VRRP question for Monday morning

Tuc tuc at ttsg.com
Mon Apr 18 09:42:13 EDT 2005

Hi,

	Hopefully everyone has had their coffee. I think this is going to
warp some minds....

	Currently I have a FWS-4802p, it has a vlan and router-interface:

vlan 100 name SLBs by port
 untagged ethe 17 to 24
 router-interface ve 100
!
interface ve 100
 ip address 192.136.64.1 255.255.255.0

	Attached to this I have 2 SIXL-8's. They are tied together on port 8
for active/standby, and both have port 1 in the FWS-4802p port 17-24 range.
They look like :

server backup ethe 8 00e0.5205.9cda
server router-ports 1
!
vlan 1 name DEFAULT-VLAN by port
 no spanning-tree
!
vlan 5 name X-over by port
 untagged ethe 8
 no spanning-tree
!
interface e 1
 port-name X-F4802-1p17
 speed-duplex 100-full
!
interface e 8
 port-name X-FSLB8-2p8
 speed-duplex 100-full

				and

server backup ethe 8 00e0.5205.9cda
server router-ports 1
!
vlan 1 name DEFAULT-VLAN by port
 no spanning-tree
!
vlan 5 name X-over by port
 untagged ethe 8
 no spanning-tree
!
interface e 1
 port-name X-F4802-1p18
 speed-duplex 100-full
!
interface e 8
 port-name X-FSLB-1p8
 speed-duplex 100-full

	All is well and happy. Or should I say, all WAS all well and happy
until I decided not to make the FWS4802-p the single point of failure.

	So I looked for something to teach me about VRRP. I found :

http://www.foundrynet.com/services/documentation/ecmg/VRRP.html

	So I started to reconfigure my setup.  The first thing I
did was change the VLAN on the first FWS4802p to be :

interface ve 100
 ip address 192.136.64.1 255.255.255.0
 ip vrrp vrid 1
  owner
  ip-address 192.136.64.1
  activate

	and add a "router vrrp" statement into the general config. All seems
well and good. Now, the brain bending part. If you look at the picture of
http://www.foundrynet.com/services/documentation/ecmg/images/VRRP1_t.gif
it seems like its saying that you have to tie Router1 and Router2 together
with something that lets Host1 talk to both at the same time. That would
mean a switch usually. But if you do that, it becomes a single point of
failure again, defeating what I'm trying to do. What I want to do instead is
use ports 47+48 on the 2 FWS4802p's to make the connection between the two,
and while I'm at it pass (maybe OSPF and) BGP over it, and let this be
how the 2 FWS4802p's talk.

	So I put on each a VLAN for the 2 connections each, and IP'd them
while I was at it :

vlan 50 name Inter4802Trunk-1 by port
 untagged ethe 48
 router-interface ve 50
!
vlan 51 name Inter4802Trunk-2 by port
 untagged ethe 47
 router-interface ve 51
!
interface ethernet 47
 port-name X-F4802p-2p47
 speed-duplex 100-full
!
interface ethernet 48
 port-name X-F4802p-2p48
 speed-duplex 100-full
!
interface ve 50
 port-name X-F4802p-2x1
 ip address 165.254.97.25 255.255.255.248
!
interface ve 51
 port-name X-F4802p-2x2
 ip address 165.254.97.17 255.255.255.248

			and

!
vlan 50 name Inter4802Trunk-1 by port
 untagged ethe 48
 router-interface ve 50
!
vlan 51 name Inter4802Trunk-2 by port
 untagged ethe 47
 router-interface ve 51
!
interface ethernet 47
 port-name X-F4802p-1p47
 speed-duplex 100-full
!
interface ethernet 48
 port-name X-F4802p-1p48
 speed-duplex 100-full
!
interface ve 50
 port-name X-F4802p-1x1
 ip address 165.254.97.26 255.255.255.248
!
interface ve 51
 port-name X-F4802p-1x2
 ip address 165.254.97.18 255.255.255.248

	So now they are connected.

	But its where to go from here that I'm a little lost. I can set up
another Vlan100 on the other FWS4802p, but not sure how to make it so that
the 2 Vlans feel like they are "tied together", or not cause spanning tree
issues (Which I had before I put ports 47+48 into a Vlan, but now since they
are untagged (I think this is why) I can't ping the other side....

	Have I confused everyone enough?

		Thanks, Tuc