[f-nsp] BGP Session stuck in IDLE state

Sam Stickland sam_ml at spacething.org
Wed Jan 5 11:32:15 EST 2005

Appologies. I found the problem after doing a 'debug ip bgp events':

Jan  5 16:19:06 BGP: x.y.z.w Peer went to IDLE state (TCP Connection Closed by Remote)
Jan  5 16:19:06 BGP: x.y.z.w BGP connection closed
Jan  5 16:19:06 BGP: x.y.z.w remote peer closed TCP connection
Jan  5 16:19:06 BGP: x.y.z.w TCP Connection opened
Jan  5 16:19:06 BGP: x.y.z.w Active TCP Connection is Open, local IP a.b.c.d
Jan  5 16:19:06 BGP: x.y.z.w Init TCP Connection to peer, local IP a.b.c.d

Would appear that the remote peer was closing the session as our router
attempted to open it, so probably just a simple instance of the session
not being enabled/configured at their end. *blush*

Odd that 'sh ip bgp sum | inc xxxx' never showed anything other than the
IDLE state. Don't Foundry's usually display ACTIV for a period of time
(ala cisco's).

Sam