[f-nsp] BGP Sanity check please...

Erik Haagsman erik at we-dare.net
Wed Nov 23 15:34:28 EST 2005

Hi Peter,

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 11:53 -0700, Peter Clark wrote:
> I somewhat disagree.  I would also go with JetCore, as IronCore is EoL
> and has less memory.  However, I've been using two IronCore NetIron
> 800's for almost six years, with full BGP route tables with two tier one
> providers, as well as IBGP, ACLs and OSPF, multiple OC3s, and have not
> had any performance issues.

Even during sustained DDoS attacks with high packet rates...? I found
the platform to be rock-solid as a peering/BGP router under normal
circumstances until a big DoS hit and it just sort of melted down, which
was the main reason we switched to separate layer2 / layer3 devices in
the first place. Also latency seemed to be very instable and irratic
under higher traffic loads, which in our case as an NSP with quite a bit
of gamehosting customers, was a big problem.

>  ACLs are not processed entirely in CPU
> unless software-based ACLs are enabled, or it is an outbound ACL.  If
> you use hardware-based, packets are not sent to the CPU, unless...
>
> The packet does not have any Layer 2 or Layer 3 forwarding information.
> The ACL entry is using the log option.
> The ACL entry matches on the ICMP type.
> The outbound interface (if other than an NPA POS 0C-48 port) has an
> outbound ACL. In this case, the device changes the ACL mode on the
> interface to flow-based ACLs.

Do you know if this has changed over software versions as well, or is
this the case for all full layer3 and service provider images...? Last
time I remember putting an ACL without logging on a public IP on one of
our NetIrons, portscans and other malicious traffic pulled the CPU up to
50%, on a pretty recent sw image (I believe a 7.6.05 or 7.7.xx image).

Cheers,

--
Erik Haagsman
Network Architect