[f-nsp] Determining the load on the ip-forwarding engine on a Bigiron

Brent Van Dussen vandusb at attens.com
Mon Oct 24 12:52:29 EDT 2005

Hello Gunter,

In terms of load we have always just had to keep an eye on the
forwarding-cache size to get a gauge for when the switch is going to start
having trouble.

Since most of the forwarding is done in hardware at line-rate for all
prefixes when net-aggregate is turned on, there usually isn't an
issue.  When you start to run into net-agg ineligibles, this necessitates
the use of the CPU on the management card to keep track of and forward the
non conforming packets.  Since the CAM isn't big enough to carry all
internet host's as separate entries, the CPU keeps track of them in a
slower DRAM location that we call the ip-cache table ( 'show ip cache' ).

So compare your current ip cache size with that of your maximum configured
ip-cache size and you have a rough idea where you are at.  Kind of an
apples to Oranges comparison since a bigiron works nothing like a GSR does.

I am not sure if CPU manipulation of the ip cache gets computed in with the
"IP" section of show proc cpu, maybe a kind foundry developer can let us
know :)

-Brent