[f-nsp] NetIron MLX Experience..

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Tue Aug 8 17:35:12 EDT 2006

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 10:33:00PM +0200, Gunther Stammwitz wrote:

> I don't agree.
>
> The MLX can handle up to 512K IPV4 Routes in hardware (=the FIB) and the
> total size of possible BGP4 IPV4-routes in the RIB is 2 millions. This means
> you can have up to four full views with 512k routes each.

Yes the MLX is a bit better off than the Cisco 3B's on CAM. Remember that
512k IPv4 only counts if you don't use the resources anywhere else like
v6, MPLS, etc. BTW all of the numbers for v4 RIB capacity, BGP peers, etc,
are completely arbitrary and for marketing purposes only. The reality is
based on the amount of ram in the system, the efficiency of he code being
run on it, and how many stupid hard-coded assumptions have been made in
said code that limits internal resources. The memory is just DDR333 PC2700
too, $150 will get you a nice 2GB DIMM for the MGMT, same as what comes on
the XMR.

> The foundry box is much more powerful than the Cisco gear you mentioned and
> cannot be compared since forwarding is done in hardware on the line cards
> and not via software like the 7600 does.

I think you're confused, nothing in the above statement is even close to
true.

The architecture of these boxes are roughly the same, but there are
advantages and disadvantages to each difference. The Foundry MLX/XMR uses
a large number of centralized dumb cell-switching fabrics to interconnect
cards, and distributes the routing intelligence to each linecard. The
Cisco equiv on the other hand comes with centralied routing intelligence
by default (PFC), and allows you to add daughter cards to distribute the
routing (DFC) and achieve roughly the same performance numbers. The
Foundry wins hands down in performance unless you stuff your 7600 cards
with DFCs which add significantly to the cost, but the tradeoff is that
you're buying loads of tcam you may not need, and you can't upgrade those
cards or make them interoperate between MLX/XMR.

There is a tradeoff on density too. The Foundry wins hands down on density
for 10GE by using half-width slots, but Cisco win on density for 1GE
because of there is only enough physical space to put half of the
interfaces the Foundry is capable of supporting onto the card.

Same thing in price. Bit for bit the Foundry is much cheaper when maxed
out, but because it doesn't come in any "mid-range" capacity flavors you
can end up spending 33-50% more in absolute dollars for an equiv
Foundry solution because you're buying capacity you don't need.

Point being, for everything in life there is a tradeoff. The new Foundry
platforms are actually very interesting boxes, worth taking a good hard
look at by anyone, but at the end of the day boxes that move a bazillion
bits under simple lab conditions are a dime a dozen. It is software that
makes the product, this is something that folks like Cisco and Juniper
understand but that most other vendors do not. That said, if your network
is simple enough and you don't need all of those interesting features (and
if you have to ask or hell if you are even reading this list at all you
probably don't), the MLX/XMR may be the box for you.