[f-nsp] Recommended software release for bigiron/jetcore andNetiron MLX - software feature comparison matrix available?

Gunther Stammwitz gstammw at gmx.net
Sun Dec 10 12:20:40 EST 2006

Hello Niels,

I have done that. Let's see what TAC says..

> One difference between 7.8 and 8.0 that I'm aware of is that
> 8.0 does sFlow v5 whereas 7.8 does only sFlow v2/v4.
Well that's not bad but I don't need version 5 that hard.

> >As some of you might know there are three actively
> maintained software
> >releases for the bigiron(jetcore)-platform:
>
> I hesitate to call JetCore software "actively maintained" -
> effectively it's bugfix-only with new features getting
> implemented on RX and up.
You are right. The bigiron is a very old device but it is still widely
deployed.
There are two features that are lacking at the moment which makes it a pain
to use the bigiron devices
A) you can not set more than a very limited number of bgp-communities. I
guess the number was 4 or 6.
B) you can not use th Q-in-Q-VLAN-feature. This is a real pain because you
definitely need this feature in a metro enviorment.

I guess that most of you have experienced the two problems I've been
mentioning.
Maybe all of us can open a feature request so that those features will get
implemented :-))) I have already done so but didn't get a feedback.

Gunther