[f-nsp] Serveriron XL uplink to switch

Cliff Fogle Cliff at kodakgallery.com
Wed Feb 1 12:55:23 EST 2006

Classic problem of two arm load balancing.

Your real servers are responding directly to each other.  It goes like
this:

Assuming rs1 and rs2 are members of vip1 on your load balancer.

Rs1 192.168.0.5 sends a request to VIP1 10.0.0.100.  The load balancer
decides to use rs2 192.168.0.6 and forwards the request by translating
the destination IP of the request to the ip of rs2 192.168.0.6.

So we now have a packet sourced from 192.168.0.5 and a destined for
192.168.0.6.  The problem at this point should be obvious right about
now.  Rs1 is expecting a response from vip1, but instead gets one from
rs2, which it would immediately drop.

Since you are using an XL and probably don't have layer 3 code you will
need to use source-nat for the above scenario it would be configured
like so:

(This first line may or may not be necessary, depends on your config)

server source-ip 192.168.0.2 255.255.255.0 192.168.02

server real rs1 192.168.0.5
 port http
 <whatever other config you may have>
 source-nat

server real rs2 192.168.0.6
 port http
 <whatever other config you may have>
 source-nat

No additional config should be needed.  At this point the serveriron
will translate ALL inbound requests to appear as if they are sourced
from 192.168.0.2 (The server source-ip from above.)

There are some other mandatory settings depending on your config.  You
can email me off list if you please.