[f-nsp] FastIron Edge X...

Cliff Fogle Cliff at kodakgallery.com
Mon Feb 27 19:18:21 EST 2006

I don't have any experience at 10 Gbps on the FESX, and very little L3.
But I have about 20 of the FESX deployed with another 22 going out
shortly.  They've been a pleasure to work with, no problems at all.

I would not expect to get 10 Gbps L3 forwarding out of them.  They
aren't marketed as such.  You should just ask your Foundry sales
engineer.  I'm thinking you will get pointed towards a SuperX (with just
24 gig ports and 2 10 Gbps ports I think the price point would be very
similar to a FESX-424-PREM) or BigIron RX.

Polling VE's?  Doubtful, there are all sorts of reasons that this is
difficult.  If you want to do this you would be much better off
investing in an SFLOW collector:

http://inmon.com/products/index.php

Or even Foundry's Ironview.  Last time I checked the IronView's sflow
stuff was not up to snuff, but they recently partnered with Inmon...I
would expect it to get better soon.

The Inmon/SFLOW product has solved most of my recent network anomalies.
It can do a whole bunch more than just tell you how busy a VE is.