[f-nsp] ServerIron XL NAT with a standby-ip

Thomas Braun tb at westend.com
Mon Jan 9 16:57:20 EST 2006

Hi Grou,

i have a new serveriron XL and i try to configure NAT.

it doesnt work, my SW-Version is 07.4.01T12.

My configuration looks like this:

ip forward
ip address X.X.X.X 255.255.255.240
ip nat inside
ip nat inside source static 192.168.1.1 1.1.1.1

interface ve 1
 ip address X.X.X.X 255.255.255.240
 ip standby-address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.240

If i try to connect to the ip-address 1.1.1.1, the connection times out.

show ip nat tranlation is emty and show ip nat stat show this:

telnet at lb1#show ip nat stat
Total translations: 1 (1 static, 0 dynamic)
Hits: 0 Misses: 0
Expired translations: 2
Dynamic mappings:
IP Fragments: saved 0, restored 0, timed out 0 fwd 0
              sess create 0, processd 0, timeout: frag exist 0
ACL IP Fragments: out of seq frag 0, frag head 0, frag count 0
Sess: Total 524288, Avail 524269, NAT 2
Stream media=1, RTSP=(1:0), MMS=(1:0), PNM=(1:0)
SMedia LB max CSeq=3, adjust=0, NAT SMedia max CSeq=5, adjust=0

Inside global      Last Inside Local  xmit pkts  xmit bytes rx pkts
rx bytes   cnt
1.1.1.1     192.168.1.1        2          145        0
0          1

In the Foundry documentation is written i have to configure the inside
and the outside interface but my foundry doesn't know the interface
commands " ip nat inside or ip nat outside".

I also tried to add the commands:

ip policy 1 cache tcp 0 global
ip policy 2 cache udp 0 global

But they haven't helped.

Can anyone give me a example configuration or a working configuration to
use a standby-ip and NAT.

Thanks thomas