[f-nsp] Dying GIG-Ports on jetcore bigirons

Gunther Stammwitz gstammw at gmx.net
Sun Jul 30 17:31:27 EDT 2006

> Even if everything checks out today, they can
> start failing one by one tomorrow, and in 6 months you can
> have a card with no working ports.

Hi Rich,
That's true. Those components are going to fail sooner or later and need to
be replaced.

> Foundry seems to have one of the worst problems in this area
> by far, primarily with certain brands of optics used in early
> production runs (I used to know which, but I've honestly
> stopped caring). Other versions of the same cards can still
> run forever, but you never know what you're going to get. If
> you really care and you can work a soldering iron, it's cheap
> and easy to replace those 1x9 transceivers, but personally
> this stopped being worth my time compared to buying new
> systems with 6x the density a long time ago. :)
Can you tell me please what module I need to order and maybe where I can get
it? I don't want to throw a whole card away only because of ONE broken port.

> If you really must keep using (or at least doing new
> deployments of) those things, do yourself a favor and buy
> cards with modular optics like M4s and BxGs for a few bucks more.

We have deployed a lot of those modules and I need to to get them replaced.
The problem is that I need the GIGEs on the managementcard because all other
slots are full so I need to get them fixed.

I can't mix jetcore and ironcore but the M4s you were mentioning are an
option. Are you absolutely sure that they are not affected by this problem?

Gunther