[f-nsp] Multiple subnets on a single ServerIron TurboSLB (across a trunk)

Afsheen Bigdeli afsheenb at gravityplaysfavorites.net
Wed Oct 18 22:24:59 EDT 2006

Hello,

I'm trying to get a TurboSLB (T8F Fiber, firmware 07.1.21T42) to load
balance traffic for two sets of virtual servers, in different vlans.
I've been unable to get the second virtual server working, however. The
serveriron is unable to ping the gateway of the second vlan (10.10.4.1),
nor do I see any ARP requests coming from the second virtual server if I
do a tcpdump from a server in the same vlan. I was under the impression
from the foundry documentation that turning source-nat on and providing
different server source-ip's  would allow this to work, but so far it
hasn't.

The only difference between the two sets of virtual/real servers, at
least from the foundry's view, is that one has a VIP on an outside
network, with real servers in RFC1918 space, and the other has both VIP
and real servers in the same subnet (also RFC1918 space). It's the
second of these two cases that isn't working.

The uplink that eth 1 is connected to is on a Cisco switch, and set up
as a trunk (in Cisco-speak, not Foundry-speak), with both vlans allowed
on it.

If anyone has done this before, or has any insight, I'd appreciate it.

The relevant portions of the (sanitized) config are:

<snip>

!
server source-nat
server source-ip 10.10.12.9 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
server source-ip 10.10.4.9 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
!
!
server real webserver1 10.10.12.11
  port http
  port http keepalive
  port http url "HEAD /"
!
server real webserver2 10.10.12.12
  port http
  port http keepalive
  port http url "HEAD /"

!
server real mailserver2 10.10.4.21
  port smtp
  port smtp keepalive
!
server real mailserver2 10.10.4.22
  port smtp
  port smtp keepalive
!
!
server virtual webservervip 10.20.30.26
  sym-priority 2
  predictor round-robin
  port http
  port http dsr
  bind http webserver1 http webserver2 http
!
server virtual mailservervip 10.2.4.20
  sym-priority 2
  predictor round-robin
  port smtp
  port smtp dsr
  bind smtp mailserver1 smtp mailserver2 smtp
!

vlan 1 name DEFAULT-VLAN by port
  no spanning-tree
!