[f-nsp] Multicast FI-800 Issues

Jason J. W. Williams jasonjwwilliams at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 23:02:42 EDT 2006

Hello,

I was curious if someone might be able to shed some light on some
multicast issues I'm having with a FastIron 800. It has redundant
J-FxGMR4 management modules and two J-F48E (10/100base-T 48-port) line
cards. The management modules are running IronWare 08.0.00bT51
(Base-layer 3 image, BL308000b)

The issue I'm having is that on two separate subnets where I've got
hosts using multicast, the hosts on that particular subnet can see
each other's multicast only sporadically. For example, on subnet A,
host 1 only see host 2's multicasts intermittently. Also, on subnet B
host 3 can only see host 4's multicasts intermittently (and
vice-versa). The FI-800 does not have a router port on either
subnet/VLAN. A separate box is being using for routing. My
understanding is that since they are on the same subnet it shouldn't
matter.

I've tried using active IGMP on subnet A, which doesn't help. I've
also tried using passive IGMP on subnet B (with a Juniper router
providing IGMP duties). In both cases, the FI-800 doesn't see/register
any multicast groups.

I'm a bit befuddled and any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
Jason