[f-nsp] Default routes and BGP

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET ml at t-b-o-h.net
Fri Apr 6 12:12:49 EDT 2007

Hi,

	Currently I have 2 Foundry routers tied together,
a transit provider on each. I high communities a higher
pref and then BGP between the two.

	Incase for some reason I don't get a route from
one router, I send it over to the over.

	I've run into a problem where memory is getting
to be an issue, so on one of my routers I put a deny on
inbound routes that look like :

ip prefix-list  long-prefixes seq 5 permit 0.0.0.0/0 ge 24

	so then it would go out the other router. All
well and good. Well, now the other router is running out
of memory, and I need to do the same. The problem is,
the same route will be removed from that router, making it
bounce between the 2 routers.

	I probably could ask the providers to send me a
default route, and then pref it higher than the other
router so that if the link it there, it'll go out it,
but if it disappears then it'll just go to the other
router.

	In the short term, though, I'd like to be able
to "inject" this route myself. I could do a static route,
but then how do I tell it to be a higher preference ONLY
if the upstream is currently there?

		Thanks, Tuc