[f-nsp] this may be spam Re: software for serveriron XL/G

Gillian Canty-Ross gilli at subspacecom.com
Thu Aug 16 09:22:52 EDT 2007

I believe you can purchase a bronze maintenance contract from Foundry
for older/pre-owned equipment.  I believe this only consists of
software support (which is what you need) but no hardware.

-Gilli
On Aug 16, 2007, at 7:36 AM, Niels Bakker wrote:

> * cedric at carpediem.fr (Cedric) [Mon 06 Aug 2007, 16:06 CEST]:
> [..]
>> So how can I get recent boot code and software for this very old
>> stuff?
>
> Not legally, it appears.  Foundry is under no obligation to give you
> free support if you haven't even paid them for the hardware, I'd say.
>
> Not sure why you need to upgrade.  Are you running into a bug that
> you know to have been fixed in more recent software?  If it's older
> equipment you may already have the latest release.
>

>> I also have another problem, I managed to make the console work
>> with 2
>> cisco DB9/rj45 adapters with a network cable between them (i was very
>> lucky to find that combination... I tried lots of adapters before).
>> But I want to buy the right cable ! Can you confirm it is a straight
>> DB9-DB9 cable that I need ?
>
> Foundry console port layout is like most, only it needs a female plug
> and TX/RX are reversed and no other pins are in use.  I use two DB9 to
> RJ45 connectors with Cisco wiring inside and a straight UTP cable for
> emergency access to Foundry equipment, and also carry a Cisco-style
> rollover cable for access with the same connectors to other equipment,
> or even just one in the case of more recent hardware with RJ45 plugs.
>
> HTH,
>

> 	-- Niels.
>
> --

Gillian Canty-Ross            PH: +1617-680-6492
              SubSpace Communications, LLC
                 http://www.subspacecom.com
AIM: gillicanty                             Skype: gillicanty
          The Geek's Choice for Network Gear!